Makes 4 servings. Recipe is from “Field Peas to Foie Gras: Southern Recipes With a French Accent” by Jennifer Hill Booker.
31/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 large tomatoes, sliced in 1-inch rounds
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
1 pinch sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
31. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Butter the sides and bottom of an 8-inch-by-8-inch-by-2-inch baking dish.
3. In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, tomato, basil, thyme, rosemary, garlic, chili pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Toss to coat the tomato slices evenly.
4. Layer the tomatoes in the prepared baking dish and be sure to scrape any oil and herbs left in the bowl into the dish.
5. Bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the tomatoes are bubbly and lightly browned on top.
6. Serve with fresh baked bread or over white rice.