Makes about 30.
1 container of large, fresh figs (about 15 figs)
Sugar (brown, white or natural)
1 (6-oz) pkg. mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1 (6-oz) pkg. soft, mild goat cheese, at room temperature
2 to 3 tbls. honey
2 cups shelled, salted pistachios, divided
1/3 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt, to taste
Toasted French bread rounds or store-bought crostini (Fresh Market has yummy ones)
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Cut the figs in half and place skin side down on cookie sheet. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over figs. Dust top of figs with sugar. Broil for approximately 4 to 5 minutes or until caramelized.
3. Combine mascarpone and goat cheese with honey. Mix well and set aside.
4. In food processor, pulse 1-1/2 cups pistachios with olive oil. Add lemon juice and zest. Continue to mix. Salt to taste.
5. For remaining 1/2 cup of pistachios, pulse dry until coarse enough for sprinkling.
6. To assemble, layer each bread round or crostini with a drizzle of the pistachio-olive oil mixture, a fig half, a dollop (or use piping bag) of soft cheese, and top with pistachio bits.