Coq Au Vin
Makes 8 servings. Recipe is by Teresa Day.
8 chicken thighs
4 strips bacon
½ cup flour + 2 tablespoons
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1½ cups pinot noir wine
1 cup chicken broth
3 carrots, cut into large pieces
3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
1. Preheat the oven to 275 F.
2. In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon until done, but not crisp. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
3. In a shallow bowl, stir together the flour, salt and pepper.
4. Dredge the chicken in the ½ cup flour, then place in the Dutch oven, skin side down.
5. Brown the chicken in batches, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
6. Reserve 1 tablespoon of drippings from the pan, discard the rest.
7. Add butter to drippings and sauté mushrooms, garlic and onion until tender.
8. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour.
9. Stir in the wine and bring to a boil. Stir in the broth and return to a boil.
10. Add carrots and herbs; return the chicken and bacon to the pot.
11. Cook in oven, uncovered for 30 minutes. Spoon some of the sauce over the chicken and cook another 30 minutes or until chicken is done, 165 F. Serve with mashed potatoes.