Serves 6.4 tbls. olive oil
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
1 green bell pepper, halved and seeded
1 small red onion, peeled and halved
1/2 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch thick circles
3 garlic cloves
2 slices day-old bread
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
5 tbls. olive oil
2 tbls. balsamic vinegar
1 quart Clamato juice
2 tbls. chopped fresh basil
4 tbls. lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1. Rub the vegetables with 4 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste, and grill them over a medium-hot fire. Grill the pepper and onion for 2 to 3 minutes, turning once or twice, until slightly charred. Then remove them, slice thinly and set aside. Grill the eggplant circles 2 to 3 minutes per side until brown, then remove them, cool and dice, small.
2. In a food processor or blender, purée the garlic and bread until fine. Add salt and pepper to taste. With the processor or blender still going, slowly add 5 tablespoons of the oil. Add the balsamic vinegar and blend or process for an additional 15 seconds.
3. Pour the Clamato juice into a large bowl and gradually whisk in the bread mixture.
4. Add the grilled vegetables to the Clamato mixture and refrigerate, covered, for 2 to 4 hours.
5. Just before serving, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and add the basil and lemon. Mix briefly and serve.
Note: Will keep, covered and refrigerated, for 2 to 3 days.