Kathy’s Southwest Crab Cakes
Makes 7 or 8 (2½-inch crab cakes). This recipe is from Kathy Ramirez, of Baton Rouge. She said, “These are always a hit whether served as entree or appetizer.”
1 pound crab meat, fresh or frozen
1 cup crushed corn chips or tortilla chips
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chili sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten with fork
½ teaspoon cumin
1½ teaspoons chili powder
½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and veins removed, finely chopped
Flour for dusting over crab cakes
Accompaniments or garnish: Your favorite salsa, sliced avocado, lemon or lime wedge
1. Place crab meat on large plate and pick over to remove any shell fragments. Set aside.
2. In medium mixing bowl, add crushed corn chips, fresh lemon zest and juice, cilantro, mayonnaise, mustard, chili sauce, egg, cumin and chili powder. Stir to combine.
3. Gently stir in crab meat, bell pepper and jalapeño peppers. At this point, if you have time, refrigerate for about 20 minutes. It is easier to form into patties if the mixture is cold.
4. Form into desired number of patties. Lightly dust with flour and heat on hot griddle until lightly browned on each side.
5. If desired, serve with salsa, avocado slices, and wedge of lemon or lime.