1-1/2 lbs. asparagus
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 tiny red potatoes (or one medium white potato), chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup half-and-half (optional, to add at the end of cooking time)
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash and trim the woody ends of the asparagus, and cut the rest into 2-inch lengths. Add them to the crock, along with onion and potatoes; no need to peel.
2. Pour in the broth and add the seasoned salt and black pepper.
3. Cover and cook on Low for 7 to 9 hours, or on High for 3 to 5 hours. The soup is ready when the potatoes are tender.
4. Carefully use a hand-held immersion blender to liquefy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can blend the soup in batches in your traditional blender.
5. Return the soup to the crock, stir in the half-and-half, if desired, and heat through. Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.