Serves at least 4. Recipe from The Advocate files was provided by Dongyan Zhang.
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cleaned, young duck (available at local supermarkets)
3 green onions
4 slices of fresh ginger
3 ounces honey
1. Stir-fry the salt in a skillet without oil until the salt turns light yellow or light brown.
2. Add the pepper and immediately remove the mixture or it will burn. Place in a bowl until the mixture is just warm.
3. Rub the salt and pepper mixture on the skin of the duck and in the cavity. Place duck in refrigerator overnight.
4. Stuff the green onions and ginger in the cavity of the duck. Place in a roasting pan and roast in a preheated 375 F oven for 2 hours. Remove from oven and place duck in clean roasting pan, discarding grease.
5. Brush about half of the honey on skin of the breast side of duck. Return to oven, breast side up, and roast for 15-20 minutes until brown.
6. Turn duck over and brush underside with remaining honey. Bake until brown, about 10-15 minutes. Drain grease and serve.