Toasted Coconut Shrimp
Serves 4. Recipe is by Teresa Day.
2 pounds large shrimp
1 cup toasted coconut flakes
1 cup panko bread crumbs
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons cup coconut milk or cow’s milk
1 cup olive oil
1. Peel and devein shrimp and set aside. Leave tails on if serving for an appetizer.
2. Toast coconut in a large skillet stirring constantly until it just begins to turn golden. Remove from heat and continue stirring until browned, but not burned. Pour into a shallow pan to be used for dredging.
3. To coconut, add panko bread crumbs, flour, salt, pepper and ginger.
4. In a separate shallow pan, beat the eggs and milk together until blended.
5. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. You want it hot enough so that a coconut flake sizzles immediately when it hits the oil.
6. Dip each shrimp into the egg mixture then dredge in the coconut-panko mixture. Press to coat completely.
7. Place each shrimp gently in the hot oil. Cook in small batches, so the shrimp aren’t touching each other, for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until the shrimp are firm.
8. Serve with pepper jelly vinaigrette dipping sauce or over fresh greens in a salad.