Yellow Squash with Spinach Soufflé Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie. Serves 4-6. You can easily add more squash and another package of frozen soufflé to make a thicker pie to serve more people.
36-8 small yellow squash, rinsed and dried, cut
1 (12-ounce) package frozen Stouffer’s Spinach Soufflé
1 tablespoon butter
Pinch of Cajun seasoning
Parmesan cheese for topping
21. Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick coating and set aside.
2. Cut half the squash into ¼-inch-thick circles. Set aside. For the remaining squash, 2trim off the bottom tips from the bulb ends. Holding each squash by its neck, run the vegetable peeler down the side, making thin slabs or ribbons. Set aside.
3. Steam squash in small amount of salted water, covered, in microwave for 2 minutes or until just barely cooked. I cooked the circles and ribbons separately.
4. Drain well and set aside.
5. Cook spinach soufflé as directed on package but omit last minute of cooking if mixture is slightly puffy and able to be stirred.
6. Stir in butter and a pinch of dry Cajun seasoning. Set aside.
7. Place squash circles in bottom of prepared pie plate. Spoon spinach over squash.
8. Pile squash ribbons over the top of the spinach, letting some parts stick up.
9. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
10. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and squash on top shows some browning.