4 ozs. bacon, thick cut and diced
2 ears of corn, shucked and grilled (save the husks for corn-infused cream)
1 lb. soybeans, blanched
1 small red onion, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp. garlic, chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tbl. fresh chopped basil
1/4 cup corn-infused cream (recipe follows)
1. Render out bacon until crispy but not burnt. Strain and reserve the bacon fat.
2. Cut the corn off the cob and set aside. Heat up a large sauté pan to medium high heat and add a tablespoon of the bacon fat. Add the soybeans, onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender. Add in the garlic, corn and bacon, and cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Deglaze pan with white wine and simmer for 1 minute then add the fresh basil and stir. Add the corn-infused cream and let simmer for 2 minutes and set aside until ready to use.
For the corn-infused cream:
2 corn husks
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. white pepper
1 tbl. kosher salt
1. Place all ingredients in a saucepot and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for five minutes.
2. Turn heat off and let mixture steep for 30 minutes. Strain, cool and set aside for use in succotash recipe.