Makes 4-5 pints. Recipe is by Tony Yokley.
3½ pounds okra
1/3 cup canning salt
3 cups water
2 teaspoons sprigs of fresh dill
2 cups white vinegar
4-6 cloves of garlic (about ½ clove per jar)
4-6 hot red peppers chopped (about ½ pepper per jar)
1. Trim stems of okra but do not cut pods.
2. Combine salt, water and vinegar in saucepan and bring to a boil.
3. Pack okra lengthwise into sterilized jars, leaving ½-inch of space at the top.
4. Place ½ clove garlic, ½ of a hot pepper and a few sprigs of fresh dill into each jar.
5. Ladle hot liquid over the okra leaving ½-inch of space at the top.
6. Wipe rims of jars clean with paper towel before adding sterilized lids and rings.
7. Immerse jars in hot water bath and simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Remove jars from water and allow to cool.
9. Store at least 2 weeks before eating to let dill flavor okra.