Chocolate Angel Pie
Serves 6-8. Recipe is by Corinne Cook. Crispy and nutty meringue holds delicious whipped cream and chocolate filling. The pie shell has to bake for a long time so make it ahead of time. The filling can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to spoon into the cooled pie shell. Have the eggs whites at room temperature (about 30 minutes before making), for greater volume.
8-inch pie plate or pie pan, greased and dusted with flour and cornstarch
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 275 F.
2. In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until foamy.
3. Add sugar gradually, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Remove from mixer.
4. Gently fold in ½ teaspoon vanilla and chopped pecans.
5. Spoon into well-greased and floured pie plate, forming a nest-like shell.
6. Bake for 1½ hours or until lightly browned and crispy.
3 tablespoons milk
1 (4-ounce) bar Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate Baking Bar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ pint whipping cream, whipped
Chocolate shavings and chopped nuts for garnish
1. In small saucepan, combine milk and chocolate squares. Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla then cool thoroughly.
3. Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in the cooled chocolate mixture until well combined.
4. Spoon into baked meringue shell. Chill about 2 hours.
5. Garnish with shaved chocolate and chopped pecans, if desired.