Make-Ahead Omelets with Potatoes and Olives
Makes 5 servings. Prep: 25 minutes. Cook: 20 minutes.
20 fingerling or other very small potatoes, about ½ pound (Can substitute 2 cups cooked vegetables, such as broccoli florets, diced asparagus or sauteed bell peppers for the potatoes
½ cup sliced pitted olives, such as Kalamata
½ cup crumbled, shredded or diced cheese, such as goat cheese, feta, cheddar or Swiss
¼ cup thinly sliced fresh chives or green onion tops
¼ teaspoon minced fresh or dried thyme
¾ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
12 large eggs
½ cup half-and-half, heavy (whipping) cream, sour cream, mascarpone or creme fraiche
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salsa or chunky tomato sauce, for serving
1. Put potatoes into a medium microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water, and cover with plastic wrap vented at one corner. Microwave on high (100 percent power) until fork tender, 5 minutes. Drain and let cool. Slice thinly. Mix potatoes with olives, cheese, chives and thyme. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
2. Break eggs into a large glass measure or pitcher with a pour spout. Use an immersion blender or whisk to mix eggs. Whisk in half-and-half, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper until smooth.
3. Heat a 6-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot, lightly film the pan with olive oil. Pour about ½ cup of the egg mixture into the pan. Mixture should set immediately at edges. Use a large fork to gently lift cooked portions of eggs toward the center of the pan and to allow the liquid eggs to be in contact with the hot pan. Tilt skillet to allow eggs to cover the bottom of the pan. When eggs are mostly set, put 3 to 4 tablespoons of the potato mixture on one side of the omelet. Use a flexible rubber spatula to gently fold omelet in half. Then gently roll the omelet out onto a plate. Cool.
4. Repeat with remaining eggs and filling.
5. Pack each cooled omelet into a container. Pack a little container of salsa or sauce alongside. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To reheat, microwave on high (100 percent power) until hot, about 1 minute. Serve topped with salsa.
Nutrition information per serving: 281 calories, 18 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 682 mg cholesterol, 11 g carbohydrates, 19 g protein, 682 mg sodium, 2 g fiber