Chicken Tortilla Soup Shooters
Makes 12 small servings. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
1 pound black beans, dried
13 cups water, divided
3-4 pound whole chicken
2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
2 teaspoons cumin, divided
2 teaspoons salt, divided
2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 ears cooked sweet corn, cut off the cob
3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
Sour cream, cilantro and avocado, for garnish
8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
1. Soak the beans in 5 cups of cold water the night before. Drain and rinse.
2. Put the chicken in a slow cooker and season with 1 teaspoon each chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add remaining 8 cups of water.
3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours (or overnight) or until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Set aside to cool, then debone and store until beans are cooked.
4. After removing chicken from slow cooker, leave the broth. Add the beans, onion, bell peppers, corn and tomatoes. Season with remaining 1 teaspoon each chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic.
5. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken and combine with beans and broth. If soup is too thick, add additional broth, can be from carton. Serve warm in small cups garnished with sour cream, cilantro, avocado and pepper jack cheese.