Makes approximately 40 shots.
3 medium Yukon gold potatoes
3 leeks (use only white part and an inch of the light green part)
2 tbls. butter
4 cups chicken broth, divided
2 cups heavy cream
White pepper and salt, to taste
1/2 lb. white lump crabmeat, carefully picked through for shell and cartilage
4 ozs. cr?me fra?che or sour cream
2 to 3 tbls. chopped fresh chives
1. Peel, dice and cook potatoes until soft. Drain.
2. Split, clean and chiffonade (cut into thin strips) leeks. Sauté leeks in butter until limp. Add 2 cups of the chicken broth and simmer gently until tender and soft.
3. Process 1/2 of leeks mixture and 1/2 of cooked potatoes well in a food processor. Return purée to pot. Process remaining leeks mixture and potatoes and return to pot. Add remaining 2 cups broth and cream and blend well. Season to taste with white pepper and salt.
4. Chill soup mixture for 24 hours to develop the best flavor.
5. Mix the crab topping ingredients.
6. To serve, pour soup mixture into shot glasses and top each shot with 1/4 teaspoon or more of the crabmeat topping. Best if served very cold. This can be varied with topping of crabmeat marinated for 10 minutes in citrus vodka.