Makes about 32 bite-sized bars. This is a good snack-bar recipe. Though it contains 1 cup of sugar, it yields 32 bars, so note that the portion sizes are small.
1/2 cup dried, tart cherries
1/2 cup slivered, dried apricots
2/3 cup orange juice
1-1/2 tsps. ground cinnamon, divided
1-3/4 cups whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups raisin nut granola
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or spread, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with vegetable pan spray.
2. In small bowl, combine cherries, apricots, orange juice and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; let stand at least 5 minutes.
3. In medium bowl, combine flour, granola and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
4. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture; beat until crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup mixture for topping; press remaining mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
5. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven; spread fruit evenly over crust. Add nuts to reserved flour/cereal mixture; mix well. Spread evenly over fruit.
6. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely; cut into bars.