Makes 8 halves. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
4 medium bell peppers, tops removed, veins and seeds removed and cut in half lengthwise
4 tbls. butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 or 2 ribs celery
Chopped bell pepper (from the tops you removed, about 1/4 cup)
2 cloves garlic
1-1/2 lbs. shrimp, peeled, deveined and halved
4 to 5 slices day-old bread, made into crumbs (about 3 to 4-1/2 cups, plus extra for topping peppers)
2 tbls. chopped fresh parsley
Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper, to taste
1. Blanch cleaned pepper halves by dropping them into a pot of boiling water for about 10 to 15 seconds. You do not want to cook them. Place upside down to drain and cool until ready to fill.
2. In skillet, melt butter and sauté onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are tender (about 15 minutes). When vegetables are soft, add the shrimp and salt and pepper to taste. Cook shrimp until they’re pink and throw off their juices. Do not overcook them. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in bread crumbs, 1/2 cup at a time, to make a dressing. Taste for seasoning and correct if necessary.
4. Fill prepared pepper halves with dressing and place in baking pan or dish. Sprinkle tops with a little more bread crumbs.
5. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly around edges.