Kohlrabi Carrot Fritters with Avocado Cream Sauce
Yields 8 fritters. Recipe is from Pennington Biomedical Research Center, adapted from ACoupleofCooks.com
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ kosher teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning or black pepper
Lemon pepper to taste
½ cup olive oil (enough for ¼ inch depth in a large skillet)
1 avocado, peeled
¼ cup light sour cream or plain yogurt
½ lemon, juiced and seeds removed
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped, or dried mint
Green onions for garnish
1. Cut the leaves off the kohlrabi and peel the bulb. Peel 1 carrot. Shred the vegetables in a food processor, or by hand using a grater.
2. Squeeze the shredded vegetables in a tea cloth (or with your hands) to remove moisture, then add to a medium bowl with 1 egg, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon Tony’s or black pepper. Mix to combine and shape into 8 patties.
3. Place ½ cup oil in a large skillet (enough for ¼-inch depth). Heat the oil over medium high heat, then place patties into the oil. Fry on one side until browned, then fry on the other side. Remove and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
4. In a small bowl, mix avocado, light sour cream or plain yogurt, lemon juice, teaspoon salt, garlic powder and cilantro or dried mint to make the avocado cream. Ingredients can also be blended in a food processor.
5. Serve fritters with avocado cream and sliced green onions.
Notes: These fritters are best eaten warm the day of making; they don’t save well. Like anything made with avocado, the avocado cream sauce will become brown after exposure to air. Make sure to cover the surface with plastic wrap when storing.