Austrian Apple Cake
Serves 15-18. Recipe is from Claudia Maxson’s family recipe collection. Make this in a 10-inch tube pan or long loaf pan.
4 large Granny Smith or Winesap apples
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1½ cups sugar
7/8 cup canola oil
5/8 cup orange juice
2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan or large loaf pan (16x4x4½-inch). Don’t use a Bundt pan; there is too much batter. Set aside.
3. Peel, core and dice apples into ½-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl. Toss apples with 2/3 cup sugar and cinnamon until thoroughly coated. Set aside.
4. In large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder and 1½ cups sugar together.
5. In separate bowl, mix together oil, eggs, orange juice and vanilla. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
6. Pour half the batter into pan. Spoon in half of the reserved apple mixture. Repeat with remaining batter and apple mixture.
7. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.