Serves 6. Recipe is from Kate McDonald and Karen Gardner.
1 large tomato
¼ of a head romaine lettuce
2 cloves garlic
1 bell pepper
1 small onion
1 lb. ground turkey
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. canola oil
6 whole wheat hamburger buns
1. Thinly slice tomato and wash lettuce. Set aside.
2. Mince garlic. Dice bell pepper and onion. Put garlic, pepper, onion, turkey, egg and spices in large mixing bowl. Mix well with large spoon or hands.
3. Divide mixture into six equal parts. Shape each into a patty.
4. Heat pan to medium heat; pour oil into pan.
5. Place burgers into hot and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining burgers.
6. Place finished burgers in buns and dress with lettuce, tomato slices and mustard.