Sam’s Famous Carrot Cake
Serves 15. Recipe is from Allrecipes.com: “My grandfather (Sam) was famous for this cake. ... He would always have some available for anyone who wanted it.”
2 cups flour
2 tsps. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsps. ground cinnamon
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
11/2 cups sugar
2 tsps. vanilla extract
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8x12-inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour and mix well.
4. In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts, pineapple and raisins. Using a large wooden spoon or a very heavy whisk, add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well.
5. Pour into the prepared pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.