Green Beans With Bacon and Almonds
Serves 6. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
6 cups fresh green beans, tips removed and halved (about 1¾ lbs.)
5 thick strips bacon
2 tbls. white vinegar
2 tbls. sugar
4 to 5 tbls. sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Rinse and drain beans. Remove tips and snap or cut beans in half. Set aside.
2. Add water about 3/4-inch deep to large skillet or Dutch oven that has a cover. Salt water to taste and bring to boil. Add beans, bring to boil again, cover and continue cooking (covered) for 5-15 minutes or until beans are as tender as you like them. Drain.
3. Meanwhile, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towel, but reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the skillet. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
4. To the bacon drippings in the skillet add vinegar and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
5. In 2-quart glass baking dish, layer half the beans, half the crumbled bacon, and half the almonds. Repeat layers of beans, bacon and almonds. Drizzle with sauce in skillet. Toss very gently.
6. Place in preheated oven; covered, for 30 minutes or just until heated through.