The Works Pizza
Serves 8, 1 slice per serving. Recipe is from Cooking Matters for Teens.
1 large onion
1 medium green bell pepper
1 medium red bell pepper
8 ozs. button mushrooms
2 medium tomatoes
1 (6-oz.) block mozzarella cheese
1 tbl. canola oil
1 frozen or refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough, defrosted
Nonstick cooking spray
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce, no salt added
1/4 tsp. dried parsley, optional
15 (2-inch diameter) turkey pepperoni slices
1. Preheat oven to 450?F.
2. Rinse and peel onion. Rinse peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes. Dice onion, peppers and tomatoes into 1/2-inch pieces. Slice mushrooms 1/4-inch thick.
3. Grate cheese using a box grater.
4. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions, mushrooms and peppers. Cook for 3 minutes.
5. Transfer vegetables to a colander. Stir in tomatoes. Let sit 3-5 minutes to drain excess liquid.
6. While veggies are draining, shape dough into a 12-inch pizza round. Use your fingers to stretch and spread the dough.
7. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place pizza dough in center of sheet.
8. Mix dried basil and dried oregano into tomato sauce. If using dried parsley, add now. Spread a layer of sauce across dough.
9. Sprinkle cheese evenly across dough. If using turkey pepperoni, add a layer of slices now.
10. Bake pizza until cheese is melted and crust is browned on the sides and bottom, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
11. Add vegetable mixture. Return to oven and bake until pizza is cooked through, 5-10 minutes more. Remove from oven.
12. Let rest for 2 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 pieces.
Chef’s notes: Make minipizzas using English muffins or pita bread for the crust. Top pizza with any seasonal vegetables you like. Try broccoli, red onion, zucchini or others.
Nutritional analysis per slice: 210 calories, 80 calories from fat, 9 grams total fat, 3 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 10 milligrams cholesterol, 240 milligrams sodium, 26 grams total carbohydrate, 3 grams dietary fiber, 5 grams sugars, 10 grams protein.