Orzo and Olive Salad
8 Servings. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
The orzo can be served alone, over salad greens, in an avocado half or over avocado slices.
1½ cups orzo, cooked according to package directions
4 tablespoons oil from sundried tomatoes (or olive oil)
1/3 cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons drained capers
½ cup Kalamata olives, sliced, or your favorite green olive
¼ cup chopped red onion
Torn fresh basil leaves to taste or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar or to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted in ½ teaspoon butter and lightly salted
¼ cup feta or Parmesan cheese
4 avocados, optional
4-6 cups salad greens, optional
1. Prepare orzo pasta according to package directions; drain and transfer to large salad bowl. Toss with 4 tablespoons oil from sundried tomatoes or olive oil. Allow to cool.
2. Add chopped tomatoes, capers, olives, onion, basil, garlic and Balsamic vinegar.
3. Season with red pepper flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper if needed, then stir in pine nuts.
5. Top salad with feta or Parmesan cheese.
6. Serve with avocado or over salad greens if desired.