Serves 6. Recipe is by Corinne Cook, who says, “Boil the number of potatoes you need for supper. Smash the top of the potatoes, oil and season them, then pop them back in oven to heat and melt the cheese.”
6 to 10 (2-inch) potatoes with thin skins
2 tbls. olive oil
2 tbls. melted butter
Salt, black pepper and pinch of cayenne or chili powder
Chili powder, if desired
Cheddar, Parmesan or Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
1. Thoroughly wash potatoes and place in pot covered with water.
2. Generously salt water and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and continue cooking until potatoes are tender when pierced. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400?F.
3. Drain potatoes and place on baking sheet. Using bottom of glass, flat meat mallet or small skillet, smash top of potato until sides begin to split.
4. In small bowl, combine olive oil and butter. Using a knife, slightly spread potato top open. Brush or spoon butter-olive oil mixture over whole potato.
5. Season with salt, pepper, pinch of cayenne or chili powder if desired. Top with a pinch of grated cheese.
6. Place in preheated oven and bake until potatoes are hot and lightly browned on top, about 10-15 minutes.