Brownie Pudding Cake
Serves 6-8. Recipe is from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook recipe with adaptations by Corinne Cook.
1 cup flour
¾ cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup milk, half-and-half or whipping cream
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (Wesson or Canola)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ to ¾ cup chopped pecans
¾ cup light brown sugar
1¾ cup hot water OR (I sometimes add 1½ cups hot water and ¼ cup strong coffee for the liquid)
Ice cream or whipped cream if desired for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease or spray (8x8-inch) pan with nonstick coating.
2. In medium mixing bowl, add flour, granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. Using a heavy spoon, stir until mixture is blended.
3. Add milk, salad oil, vanilla and pecans. Stir to blend. Mixture will be very stiff.
4. Spoon into prepared pan. You may have to use your fingers to spread.
5. In separate bowl, combine brown sugar, remaining 4 tablespoons cocoa and 1¾ cup hot water (or water and coffee mixture). Stir to blend.
6. Pour over the batter (do not stir it in).
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
8. To serve: While hot or warm, cut into squares and invert onto dessert plate. Spoon a little of the pudding from the pan over each brownie square. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.