1 medium onion
2 chili peppers (fresh jalape?o, serrano or Thai chili)
2 cups basmati rice
1 tbl. olive oil
2 tbls. minced fresh ginger
2 tbls. minced fresh garlic
3 tsps. salt, or to taste
1 tbl. Rajah garam masala
1/4 cup frozen peas (or frozen peas and carrots)
3-1/2 cups water
1 pinch of saffron
1. Slice onion into long strips, and slice chilies into long pieces.
2. In a heated pan, add the rice and brown until rice turns slightly golden. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Fry onions, chilies, ginger, garlic, salt to taste and garam masala until slightly browned. Return rice to the pan and saut? with the other ingredients.
4. Stir in the frozen peas (or peas and carrots).
5. Add water into the saucepan, mix well and simmer. Add pinch of saffron and stir every few minutes until rice is cooked (approximately 30 minutes).
Note: If using a rice cooker: Follow steps 1-4 above. Transfer entire contents to rice cooker, add water and turn on. Add saffron and stir into the rice. Cook until done.