2 tbls. olive oil, divided
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsps. cumin powder
2 tsps. chili powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper
1 (10-oz.) can Ro-tel tomatoes
1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (15-oz.) can black beans
1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat and brown the ground meat until the meat is just cooked through.
2. Drain the meat from the pan and return the skillet back to the stove.
3. Add remaining olive oil and the onions.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and sauté the onions 3 to 4 minutes or until the onions have just become soft.
5. Add in the garlic, salt and seasonings and sauté for an additional 10 to 15 seconds or just until the garlic becomes fragrant.
6. Place the browned ground meat back into the pan and stir to incorporate all of the ingredients.
7. Stir in the tomato products and black beans and stir until all is incorporated.
8. Bring the chili up to a simmer and then reduce the heat; cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking and burning on the bottom.