Savory Summer Quiche
Serves 8. Recipe is from “Celebrating Our Gardens,” submitted by Janet Young.
½ (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts (I crust)
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
½ purple onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
4 large eggs
1 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of cayenne if desired
2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
3 plum tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch slices (I used less for photograph so I could show filling, but you should have a nice layer of tomatoes on top)
1. Fit pie crust into a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan; prick bottom and sides of crust with a fork. Bake in preheated 425 F oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Reduce oven temperature to 375 F.
3. In a large skillet, add olive oil and sauté bell pepper, onion and garlic until vegetables are tender. Add basil.
4. In separate large bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, salt, black pepper and cayenne until well blended.
5. Stir in sautéed vegetables, add the Monterrey Jack and Parmesan cheeses. Stir and pour into partially baked pie shell.
6. Top filling with sliced tomatoes.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until set.
8. After 30 minutes, shield edges of pie crust with strips of aluminum foil to prevent burning.
9. Let pie rest for 5 minutes before cutting.