Fresh Vegetable Pita Pizza
Serves 4. The recipe is from Florida tomato growers and Family Features.com.
1 pound homegrown tomatoes
4 (7-inch) pita breads
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
2 cups shredded part-skin-mozzarella cheese, divided
1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (2 cups)
1 bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced sweet red or white onion
Crushed red pepper, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Use tomatoes held at room temperature until fully ripe. Core and slice tomatoes, cut each slice in half.
3. Place pitas on 2 baking sheets, brush with oil.
4. Arrange tomato slices on each pita, dividing evenly,
5. Sprinkle with Parmesan and half of the Italian seasoning.
6. Bake until tomatoes are heated and pita begin to crisp, about 10 minutes.
7. Sprinkle tomatoes with half of the mozzarella cheese. Top with zucchini, bell pepper and onion. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Italian seasoning.
8. Bake until cheese is melted and vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
9. Serve with crushed red pepper and additional Parmesan if desired.