Bleu Cheese Tarts
Makes 2½ dozen mini muffin size tarts. These are strictly for bleu cheese lovers. Recipe is from Corinne Cook.
Cream Cheese Dough:
3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour
Bleu Cheese Filling:
½ teaspoon salt
Pinch of black pepper
½ teaspoon onion juice
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon flour
5 ounces bleu cheese
Jam or jelly for garnish if desired (strawberry, peach, mayhaw)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, butter and flour. Stir to combine and then knead gently to form a smooth dough.
3. Roll dough, between your palms, forming a ball the size of a large marble (about 1 inch in diameter), and place it in mini-muffin tin. Using your fingers, spread dough in bottom and up sides of each muffin cup, making a shell about 1/8-inch thick.
4. Set aside while making filling.
5. In medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, black pepper and onion juice. When well blended, whisk in milk, flour and bleu cheese.
6. Using a teaspoon or small ladle, carefully fill each pastry-lined tin half-way. Avoid spilling egg mixture over the tops of the pastry shell, as this will make them more difficult to remove from pie tin.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until pastry edges are golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: I sometimes add a tiny dollop of jam or jelly in the center of each tart.