For the chicken:
1/2 cup bottled stir-fry sauce, divided
3 tbls. ketchup
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1-1/2 tsps. fennel seeds, crushed
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 (4-lb.) fresh or thawed whole roasting chicken
3 thin slices fresh ginger root
2 green onions and tops, cut in 3-inch lengths
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Hoisin Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
1. Combine bottled stir-fry sauce, ketchup, pressed garlic, fennel and cloves. Reserve 1/2 cup of this stir-fry sauce mixture for Hoisin Dipping Sauce. Discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken under cold running water; drain well and pat dry with paper towels. Carefully separate skin from meat on chicken breast and thighs.
2. Rub 1 tablespoon of remaining stir-fry sauce mixture under skin. Place ginger, green onions and crushed garlic in chicken cavity.
3. Roast chicken, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan in 400-degree oven 1 hour and 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare Hoisin Dipping Sauce. Brush chicken with remaining stir-fry sauce mixture. Roast 5 minutes longer, or until meat thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180 degrees.
5. Remove chicken from oven and let stand 10 minutes before carving; serve with dipping sauce.
Hoisin Dipping Sauce
Reserved 1/2 cup stir-fry sauce mixture
2-1/2 tbls. honey
1-1/2 tbls. vegetable oil
2 tbls. water
1. In a small saucepan combine ingredients and bring to boil.
2. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.