Smoked Oyster & White Sweet Potato Bisque, Cane Sugar-Cured Pork Jowl, Aged Goat Cheddar
Recipe by chef Cody Carroll, SAC-A-LAIT
2 pounds white sweet potatoes
2 cups heavy cream
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon white pepper
4 tablespoons chopped cane sugar-cured pork jowl (if you cannot find pork jowl, use hickory smoked bacon)
4 tablespoons shredded aged goat cheddar cheese
1. Smoke Louisiana Gulf oysters for 30 minutes at 180 F using pecan wood chips and set aside.
2. Clean and peel white sweet potatoes. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
3. In a blender or with a hand blender, process the potatoes until smooth.
4. In a medium pot, melt butter on medium-low heat and whisk in heavy cream until warm. Add in sweet potato purée and combine.
5. Finish the soup by stirring in oysters, salt and white pepper. Garnish with cane sugar-cured pork jowl and shredded aged goat cheddar.