Sweet Potato Butterscotch Pies
Recipe is by Katie Leithead.
2 (14.1-ounce) packages refrigerated pie crusts, thawed
12 frozen yam patties, thawed
2 tablespoons butterscotch morsels (about 48)
12 teaspoons dark brown sugar
6 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup pecan pieces
1 large egg
2 teaspoons whole milk
6 teaspoons granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. On a well-floured surface, unfold pie crusts and cut into 24 rounds with a 4½-inch metal cutter. Re-roll excess, if necessary.
3. Arrange 12 pie crust circles on baking sheet with space in-between. Place a sweet potato patty in the middle of each. Divide butterscotch morsels, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecan pieces evenly among pies.
4. Cover pies with remaining pie crusts. Crimp edges together tightly with fork or fingers. Make sure all edges are well sealed.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Brush pie crusts with egg wash, and top with sugar. Cut 3 small holes in top of each pie with a small sharp knife. Bake pies until browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer pies to cooling rack, and let cool for 5 minutes.