Sweet Potato Hash and Kale Hash
Serves 8. Recipe is by chef Eric Arceneaux, City Club of Baton Rouge.
1/4 cup 80/20 olive oil
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 shallots, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
½ cup diced, Black Forest ham
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
Pinch red pepper flake
Kosher/sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon brown sugar
4 cups kale, washed, dried and chopped, coarsely
1. Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven with olive oil and butter, add diced shallots and sauté for 3 minutes.
2. Add red bell pepper and sweet potatoes. Cook 5 minutes.
3. Add diced ham and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Add all dry seasonings and toast for 2 minutes.
5. Add kale and sauté until wilted. Adjust seasonings, if needed.
6. If sweet potatoes are tender, serve immediately; if not, cook for an additional few minutes.