Serves about 20 as an appetizer.
1 large or 2 medium eggplant
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil (original recipe calls for 1/2 cup)
2 fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste
2 tbls. dry white wine
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake eggplant until soft, about 1 hour.
2. Sautée onion, garlic, pepper and olive oil until tender but not brown.
3. Peel and chop eggplant; mix with tomato and add to sautéed seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add wine.
4. Mix everything thoroughly and continue to cook gently until the mixture is fairly thick. Cool, then place in refrigerator.
5. Serve well chilled with pumpernickel, thin pieces of icebox rye bread or pita bread.
Note: Carol Anne Blitzer says she adds chopped fresh oregano, basil and jalapeño if available.