Fresh Peach Cobbler
Serves 6. This is a well-worn recipe from my mother’s recipe box. It’s easy to make and better if you have all the ingredients assembled.
4 cups sliced peaches, (about 6 medium-size), add more, if desired
Lemon zest (about ½ teaspoon)
Juice from ½ lemon
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
Generous pinch or two of nutmeg
3 tablespoons solid shortening (example: Crisco; you can substitute with butter but they will be slightly heavier)
½ cup milk
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for topping, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Set aside a 2-quart glass baking dish or pan, ungreased.
2. Peel and slice peaches and quickly stir in zest and lemon juice to prevent peaches from darkening. Stir and set aside.
3. In medium saucepan add ½ cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and sliced peaches.
4. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture boils, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute and pour into ungreased (2-quart) baking dish. Place peaches in the preheating oven while you quickly prepare the batter.
5. In medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together to mix.
6. Add shortening and cut it in with a pastry cutter or two knives until it resembles coarse crumbs.
7. Stir in milk just until well-blended.
8. Drop by 6 spoonfuls over the top of the peaches that are heating in the oven.
9. Bake for 22-26 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
10. Serve warm, and if desired, with a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream over the top.