Makes 4 to 6 servings. Recipe is from Corinne Cook’s “Extra! Extra! Read More About It!” Cookbook.
1 stick butter
1½ tablespoons flour
¾ cup chopped celery
¾ cup chopped green bell pepper
¾ cup chopped onion
1 pound crawfish tails
Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
¼ cup chopped green onions
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
Hot cooked rice
1. In heavy pot, melt butter and stir in flour. Stir constantly, over medium heat, until roux is the color of peanut butter.
2. Turn heat to low and add the chopped celery, bell pepper and onion. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir often.
3. Add crawfish tails and cover pot. Cook over low heat 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure mixture is not sticking.
4. Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste. Add green onions and parsley.
5. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Note: This can also be prepared with shrimp.