Yields 5 quarts.
16 cups cucumbers, thinly sliced but not peeled
1-1/2 cups onions, thinly sliced
1 cup salt
1 gallon ice water
5 cups sugar
5 cups white vinegar
1 tbl. mustard seed
1 tbl. turmeric
1/4 cup salt
1 tbl. whole cloves
1. Thinly slice cucumbers and onions.
2. In a large pot or bowl, mix salt with ice water, stirring well to incorporate. Add cucumbers and onions and let sit for 3 hours, then drain well.
3. In a separate saucepot combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil until sugar is completely dissolved.
4. Stuff sterile jars with drained cucumbers and onions, then pour spice mixture, while still warm, over each, distributing evenly among the jar.
5. Seal jars with sterile lids and process in a water bath for 5 minutes.