Serves 6. Recipe is from Corinne Cook. I use brown or red lentils for this soup. Either is fine. With the red lentils, have the husk removed so they cook quicker and appear creamier because they don’t hold their shape as well as the brown ones.
1 cup lentils
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 (28-ounce) can peeled, whole tomatoes, chopped (or petit diced)
Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1 or 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Pinch of coriander, optional
Pita chips or lemon slice for garnish
1. Rinse and drain lentils. Set aside.
2. In Dutch oven, add olive oil and sauté onion and celery until vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes more.
3. Add the lentils, chicken broth and tomatoes.
4. Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add spinach, continue cooking for 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning and tenderness of lentils.
6. When lentils are tender, add fresh lemon juice, black pepper and a pinch of coriander if desired. Taste for seasoning and serve hot.
7. Serve with pita chips and lemon slices if desired.