Serves 10. Recipe is from Corinne Cook. Serve as a side dish or add the smothered okra to shrimp gumbo. I freeze it in 1½ cup portions.
2½ to 3 pounds small, tender fresh okra, rinsed, dried and chopped crosswise into ½-inch pieces
¼ cup canola oil
1 onion, chopped
½ bell pepper, chopped
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
Salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste
1. Prepare okra and set aside.
2. Add oil to large, heavy pot (NOT cast iron). Heat oil and add cut okra, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, salt and peppers.
3. Sauté on medium heat, while stirring constantly, about 15 minutes. As the okra begins to cook it will become very gummy. At that point, cover pot and reduce heat to low. Stir often because it can burn easily.
5. Allow to cook, covered, for 45-60 minutes, remembering to stir every now and then. Cooking time will depend on tenderness of okra.
6. When okra is no longer stringy, it’s probably tender.
7. Serve as a side dish or freeze in small portions to add to shrimp gumbo.