Makes about 32 latkes. Recipe is from “Jewish Holiday Feasts” by Louise Fiszer.
3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled
1 medium onion, chopped
1 whole egg, plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons flour or matzoh meal
½ cup to 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
1. Grate potatoes and place in strainer or colander. Squeeze out as much moisture from potatoes as you can.
2. In large bowl, combine potatoes with all remaining ingredients, except oil.
3. Heat about ¼ cup in large frying pan until very hot. Drop 2 to 3 tablespoons potato mixture into pan for each latke.
4. Use back of spoon to flatten mixture so that each latke is about 3 inches in diameter. Fry over medium high heat about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a 250 F oven.
5. Continue, using more oil if necessary for each batch. Serve hot with applesauce, if desired.
Nutritional information per serving of 1 latke: 100 calories, 5 milligrams cholesterol, 5 grams fat, 80 milligrams sodium and 1 gram fiber.