Creamy Deviled Egg Potato Salad
Serves 10. Recipe by Alison Ladman. If you find the potato salad too dry, just add another spoonful of mayonnaise or a splash of water.
3 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Smoked paprika, to garnish
1. In a saucepan large enough to hold the eggs comfortably but closely in a single layer, arrange the eggs and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high, then cover the pan and remove from the heat. Let sit for 10 minutes. Have a bowl of ice water near the stove.
2. After 10 minutes, use a slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to the ice water. Chill them for 5 minutes. Remove the eggs and tap the shells all over on the counter to crack them. Return the eggs without peeling them to the ice water while you cook the potatoes.
3. In a large pot of salted water over high, bring the potatoes to a boil. Cook until tender, but not falling apart, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with the cider vinegar and allow to cool.
4. While the potatoes cool, make the dressing. In a medium bowl, mix together the mascarpone, mustard, mayonnaise, cayenne and a hefty pinch each of salt and pepper. Peel the eggs, rinsing to ensure no bits of shell remain. Halve the eggs and remove the yolks. Mix the yolks into the dressing, mashing with a fork until smooth.
5. Chop the egg whites and gently fold into the dressing, along with the cooled potatoes and scallions. When ready to serve, sprinkle with smoked paprika.
Nutrition information per serving: 310 calories; 170 calories from fat (55 percent of total calories); 19 g fat (6 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 275 mg cholesterol; 350 mg sodium; 24 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 2 g sugar; 11 g protein.