Out of This World Eggplant
Serves 6. Recipe from “Mercy, It’s Good” cookbook was submitted by Bertile Sanchez.
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
2 eggs, beaten
1 small onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup milk
¾ cup cornbread crumbs
3 tbls. butter, melted
¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
1?3 cup plain toasted bread crumbs or Italian-style bread crumbs, tossed in additional 1 tbl. melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease or lightly spray 1½-quart baking dish (or pie plate) with nonstick coating and set aside.
2. Place eggplant in medium saucepan and barely cover with water. Boil until tender; drain and cool slightly.
3. Place eggplant in medium bowl; mash, then add beaten eggs, onion, salt and pepper, milk, cornbread crumbs, 3 tablespoons melted butter, and grated cheese. Mix well.
4. Spoon eggplant into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle top with buttered bread crumbs.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.