Here come those April showers and let's hope they bring those beautiful May flowers. For me, when the days start to warm up, I crave lighter, fresh dishes full of seasonal ingredients, like our wonderful local berries.
Berries are beautiful and pack a nutritional wallop. These little jewels are known for their immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants that help slow the aging process from the inside out.
For a sweet Louisiana treat, strawberries are the star of this Strawberry Cheesecake Parfait dessert. Be sure to visit your local farmers market for the best seasonal strawberries.
This fantastic no-cook dessert is a delicious warm weather treat. I like to serve it in individual ramekins or in stemware for a beautiful table setting.
- Greek yogurt is a creamier, thicker protein-rich yogurt, especially in this dessert, but make sure to get vanilla flavor.
- If you don’t want to chop strawberries, use raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.
- The vitamins in berries help protect your memory, reduce the risk of cancer and decrease infections, just to name a few of their great attributes.
- Toss berries on any salad to up the nutrition quotient.
- Frozen berries can work as well as fresh ones in recipes like smoothies, so be sure to pack up a few bags of extra berries for your freezer.
Holly Clegg, author of the best-selling trim&TERRIFIC & Eating Well cookbook series specializes in easy, healthy, everyday recipes. Visit her website, The Healthy Cooking Blog. Follow her on Facebook at facebook.com/HollyClegg, on Instagram @holly_clegg and Twitter @hollyclegg. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.