Tomato Basil Soup
Makes 6 to 8 servings. Recipe is from “No-Prep Slow Cooker” by Chrissy Taylor (Page Street Publishing Co.) Taylor suggests serving the soup with homemade croutons or a grilled cheese sandwich on the side.
4 cups tomatoes, diced
4 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons basil
1 cup heavy cream
12 ounces butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker.
2. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours. Use an immersion blender to purée before eating.
Testing note: I diced the basil and used a 3½- to 4-quart slow cooker.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Makes 6 to 8 servings. Recipe is from “No-Prep Slow Cooker” by Chrissy Taylor (Page Street Publishing Co.)
4 cups russet potatoes, diced
1 onion, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
½ cup flour
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups heavy cream
½ cup sour cream or yogurt
Chives, cheddar cheese, bacon for serving
1. Place the potatoes and onion in the slow cooker with the chicken broth.
2. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
3. Make a roux by whisking the flour into the melted butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the heavy cream and sour cream. Add the roux to the slow cooker 30 minutes before the dish is done.
4. Top with chives, cheddar cheese and bacon.