Louisiana Crawfish King Cake
Makes 14 servings. Recipe is adapted by Holly Clegg from her "Gulf Coast Favorites" cookbook.
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped red or green bell pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup Louisiana crawfish tails, drained and rinsed
⅓ cup chopped green onion
3 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
2 (8-ounce) cans reduced-fat crescent rolls
Mardi Gras Topping (see recipe)
1. Preheat oven 350 F. Line a 10-inch round pizza pan with foil then coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion, red pepper and garlic until tender. Add crawfish, green onion and cream cheese, stirring until creamy. Remove from heat.
3. Separate crescent rolls at perforations into 16 slices. Place slices around prepared pan with points in the center. About halfway down from points, press seams together.
4. Spread crawfish mixture on dough in the center where seams have been pressed together. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold dough points over filling, then fold bottom of triangle over points forming circular roll like king cake.
5. Bake about 20–25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with Mardi Gras Topping.
Mardi Gras Topping
6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Yellow, green, red and blue food coloring
1. In three small bowls, divide cheese. To first bowl, add a few drops of yellow food coloring. In the next bowl, add a few drops of green food coloring. In the last bowl, add equal amounts of red and blue food coloring; mix to make purple.
2. Sprinkle cheese over baked king cake. Return to oven 1-2 minutes or until cheese melted.
Nutritional information per serving:
Nutritional info: calories 136, calories from fat 46 percent, fat 7g, saturated fat 2g, cholesterol 26mg, sodium 317mg, carbohydrate 15g, dietary fiber 0g, sugars 3g, protein 6g. Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, ½ lean meat, 1 fat
Watch Holly make her traditional king cake at youtube.com/watch?v=tNkiLDa3pFA.