Crabmeat Au Gratin
Makes 4-6 servings. Recipe is by Teresa Day.
4 to 6 small ball-shaped squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stick butter
⅓ cup flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 cups grated smoked Gruyère cheese, divided
1 pound crabmeat, claw or lump
1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Cut stems off squash and a small slice off the bottom so the squash won't roll.
3. Scoop out squash seeds to make a bowl. Place the squash on a baking sheet then brush with olive oil.
4. Bake squash for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
5. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic in butter until onions are clear.
6. Stir in flour until vegetables are coated.
7. Slowly pour in milk while stirring. Add seasonings and hot sauce and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
8. Stir in 1½ cups grated cheese until melted.
9. Gently fold crabmeat into vegetable-and-cheese mixture.
10. Fill each squash evenly with au gratin. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.