Chocolate Peanut Butter Trifle
Makes 20 ⅔-cup servings. Recipe is by Holly Clegg from her "Kitchen 101" cookbook.
2 (4-serving) boxes instant chocolate fudge pudding and pie filling mix
3½ cups skim milk
1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
½ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup powdered sugar
⅔ cup skim milk
1 (14- to 16-ounce) bought angel food cake, cut into cubes
12 miniature peanut butter cups, crumbled, divided
1 (8-ounce) container frozen nonfat whipped topping, thawed
1. In bowl, whisk together chocolate pudding and milk according to package directions. Set aside.
1. In a mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and peanut butter. Gradually add powdered sugar and milk, mixing until creamy.
2. In trifle or large glass bowl, layer ingredients beginning with one-third angel food cake, one-half peanut butter mixture, half of chocolate pudding, one-third peanut butter cups and whipped topping. Repeat layers ending with remaining third peanut butter cups.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 233, calories from fat 27 percent, fat 7 g, saturated fat 3 g, cholesterol 9 mg, sodium 330 mg, carbohydrates 36 g, dietary fiber 1 g, total sugars 25 g, protein 7 g. Dietary exchanges: 2½ other carbohydrate, 1½ fat
Red Velvet Cheesecake
Makes 2 (9-inch round) cheesecake pies, 16 servings. Recipe is by Holly Clegg from her "Kitchen 101" cookbook.
2 (8-ounce) packages reduced-fat cream cheese
1¼ cups sugar
1 egg white
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup nonfat sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
2 (9-inch) round chocolate pie crusts (see below for a make-your-own recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until creamy.
2. Add eggs, egg white, cornstarch, cocoa, sour cream, vanilla, buttermilk, vinegar and red food coloring, mixing well.
3. Pour into crust. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is firm. Turn oven off and allow to remain in oven 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
Chocolate pie crust: (Makes 1 pie crust) 1¼ cups chocolate wafer crumbs, 1 tablespoon sugar, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons melted butter. Combine all, press into bottom of springform pan, and bake at 350 F for 10 minutes.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 270, calories from fat 39 percent, fat 12 g, saturated fat 5 g, cholesterol 46 mg, sodium 262 mg, carbohydrates 34 g, dietary fiber 1 g, total sugars 23 g, protein 7 g. Dietary exchanges: 2½ other carbohydrate, 2½ fat
48 servings. Recipe is by Holly Clegg.
1½ cups gingersnap crumbs
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup dried cranberries
⅓ cup white chocolate chips
⅓ cup chopped pecans
⅔ cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a 13-by-9-by-2-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In prepared pan, mix gingersnaps, butter and vanilla; press into pan.
3. Sprinkle cranberries, white chocolate chips and pecans evenly over gingersnap crust. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk over top. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly and light brown.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 57, calories from fat 42 percent, fat 3 g, saturated fat 1 g, cholesterol 4 mg, sodium 34 mg, carbohydrate 8 g, dietary fiber 0 g, sugars 6 g, protein 1 g. Dietary exchanges: ½ other carbohydrate, ½ fat