Serves 6 to 8. Recipe is reprinted with permission from “Holiday Slow Cooker” by Leigh Anne Wilkes, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Wilkes prefers using kidney beans, but says you can use your favorite beans or a combination of two different kinds.
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
4 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
2 (15.25-ounce) cans kidney beans
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 (12-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup chili powder
1 cup cilantro chopped, plus more for garnish
1. Brown the ground beef, onion and garlic in a large pan over medium heat. Drain.
2. Place the meat, onions and garlic into a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans, green pepper, tomato sauce, cocoa powder, chipotle chili powder, brown sugar, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin, vinegar, chili powder and cilantro.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
4. To thicken, remove the lid for the last 30 to 60 minutes.
5. Top with additional cilantro for garnish.